Guided Tour of the Castle
Erogato Da Castello di Gropparello
Guided tour of one of Italy's oldest castles, perfectly preserved and still inhabited by the owners.
- ~
Suspended on a wild territory like an eagle's nest, the Gropparello Castle (8th-13th century) impresses visitors with the clustered turreted structure of the monumental complex, which during the visit offers the eye an alternation of scenographically different panoramic views. With an irregular plan due to the rough terrain, the Castle represents an example of medieval fortification art, positioned to defend the access route to the valley, it rises on a large ophiolitic area with a ravine descending to the Vezzeno stream, making the fortress impregnable. Surrounded by a 20-hectare park, inside which are the magnificent Gole del Vezzeno with the famous Celtic altar, and the Museum of the Rising Rose, winding through a labyrinth of hornbeams with 17 rose gardens consisting of 1280 plants of 120 rose varieties.
The Gropparello Castle, known in ancient times as "Rocca di Cagnano," is a characteristic example of a medieval fortification work placed to defend the access route to a valley, conceived as a true eagle's nest perched on the cliff, and therefore absolutely impregnable.
The oldest known document about Gropparello dates back to the year 810, and it is the deed by which Emperor Charlemagne grants the place in fief to the then Bishop of Piacenza, Giuliano II.
It is believed that the Carolingian fortification was built, as often happened, on a primitive Roman fortification, perhaps a simple watchtower or a "castrum" from the 3rd-2nd century B.C.
During the struggles between the Guelphs and Ghibellines; the castle, in the hands of the Guelph party, is attacked on several occasions with varying fortunes by the Ghibelline forces.
At the beginning of the 14th century, Gropparello was in the hands of the powerful Guelph family of Fulgosio, probably as an inheritance from the then Bishop of Piacenza, Filippo Fulgosio.
In 1599, Ranuccio I Farnese, lord of Parma and Piacenza, who regained possession of the fief of Gropparello, invests Marcantonio Anguissola, his trusted man who had also held the position of governor of the Val di Taro, with the hereditary title of "Count of Gropparello."
In 1848, with the death of Gaetano Anguissola, this branch of the family dies out; the castle, put up for sale along with other properties, goes through a period of great decline during which it is also used, like other castles in the area, as a rural building.
It was purchased in 1869 by Count Ludovico Marazzani Visconti Terzi, (belonging to a branch of the family that owned Grazzano Visconti), who commissioned a famous Piacenza architect of the time, Camillo Guidotti, for a complete restoration of the ancient building.
In the 20th century, the castle changes hands several times, and after a long period of abandonment, it was acquired in 1994 by the current owners, who have made it their residence, but also promote numerous initiatives so that all those who love history and art can enjoy the fact that a building of this importance comes back to "life."
The ticket includes: historical guided tour of the castle, including the battlements that enter the highest part of the Gole del Vezzeno. The noble rooms, the keep with the terrace at the merlons level, the ancient kitchens, and the ancient games room where part of the collection of musical instruments is also housed are visitable.
Quote includes
- The guide and entrance
Important information
- The visit must be booked
Quote includes
- The guide and entrance
Suggestions
- Comfortable shoes
- small bags
- as backpacks are not allowed. Dogs are only allowed if small
- in a hand carrier
- and reservation is required.